Quick drying solvent cleaner/degreaser and excess penetrant remover for the non- destructive testing of metal surfaces by liquid penetrant inspection.
Many cracks in engineering materials can be deep in spite of having a very small opening width on the surface and can cause very serious defects. By normal visual inspection such cracks may be very difficult to detect, but penetrant flaw detection is an extension of the visual inspection method. The control is carried out using 3 products: Crick 110 (cleaner), Crick 120 (penetrant) and Crick 130 (developer).
Crick 110 is a fast drying, powerful degreasing solvent blend free of 1,1,1-trichloroethane or other chlorinated solvents for the removal of dirt, grime and contaminants. Designed for the pre-treatment of the surface, prior to liquid penetrant inspection and to remove all visible, colored traces of the penetrant.
- Quickly dissolves grease, oil, lubricants, tar and
- Effective wash-away of contaminants and colored
- Fast evaporation to minimize
- Leaves no residue.
- Stable, non-staining and non-corrosive.
- Safe on most plastics, coatings and rubbers (test prior to use).
- Aerosol is equipped with an ‘accusol’ for added
- Pressurized with non-flammable CO2 propellant, giving an active product content of over97%.
- Halogen content tested according to ASME Section V, art
Non-destructive inspection of materials, parts, assemblies, equipment, surfaces or structures:
- Cracks, lack of fusion and open cavities in welded
- Cracks and cavities caused by metal fatigue and cutting
- Check of porosity or leaks in pipes, tanks, boilers, heat
- Discontinuities, laps, folds and cracks in castings, forgings and
A safety data sheet (MSDS) according to EC Regulation N° 1907/2006 Art.31 and amendments is available for all CRC products.
Do not use at ambient temperatures below 10°C.
- In liquid penetrant inspections, the test object or material is coated with a visible dye solution. The excess dye is removed from the surface and a developer is then applied. The developer acts like a blotter and draws penetrant out of the imperfections of the surface. With visible dyes, the vivid color contrast between the penetrant and the developer makes the ‘bleed-out’ easy to
- Cleaning of the surface
The surface to be checked must be clean, degreased and dry. All soiling like rust, oil, grease, paint etc, which can mask the imperfections, must be removed. Finish the cleaning by spraying CRC Crick 110 generously. If possible wipe with an absorbent cloth and allow drying thoroughly.
- Penetrant application
Shake the can of CRC Crick 120 prior to use. Spray the penetrant in a light, even film on the surface, wetting all areas to be controlled. Allow to drain for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Excess penetrant removal
Remove excess of penetrant by wiping the surface using a lint-free cloth. Apply water (CRC Crick 120 is water washable) until all visible, colored traces are removed. Care must be taken that only disturbing penetrant on the surface is removed. Dry properly.
Shake the can of CRC Crick 130 thoroughly prior to use. Spray a light, homogeneous coat of developer from a distance of about 20 cm. Avoid any excess developer to avoid masking the finest flaws. Allow to develop for at least 7 minutes so that imperfections are visible.
- Visual inspection of defects
As time passes, the defects will appear as red spots or lines on a white background. The speed of appearance, the shape and dimensions can give information about the nature of the defects. If necessary, post-clean the controlled surface and protect against corrosion with one of CRC’s corrosion protection products.
A safety data sheet (MSDS) according EU-directive 93/112 is available for all CRC products.
TYPICAL PRODUCT DATA (without propellant)
Appearance : colorless liquid, typical odor
Specific gravity (@ 20°C) : 0,714
Boiling range : 55 – 120°C
Vapor density (vs air = 1) : 3
Freezing point : < -30°C
Evaporation rate (vs ether = 1) : 2,8
Flash point (closed cup) : < 0°C
Dynamic viscosity (@ 20°C) : 0,5 mPa.s
Surface tension (@ 20°C, est.) : 21 mN/m
Plastics compatibility : to be checked (*)
Non-volatiles : none
aerosol : 12 x 500 ml
(*)Sensitive plastics (e.g. polystyrenes and polycarbonates, …) need to be checked, particularly when thermal or mechanical stress is involved.
All statements in this publication are based on service experience and/or laboratory testing. Because of the wide variety of equipment and conditions and the unpredictable human factors involved, we recommend that our products be tested on-the-job prior to use. All information is given in good faith but without warranty neither expressed nor implied.
This Technical Data Sheet may already have been revised at this moment for reason such as legislation, availability of components and newly acquired experiences. The latest and only valid version of this Technical Data Sheet will be sent to you upon simple request or can be found on our website: www.crcind.com.
We recommend you to register on this website for this product so you will be able to receive any future updated version automatically.